Hot News
Loading...

Things A Wire Artist Needs To Know


Things to keep in mind for wire wrapping.

Quartz wrapped in copper by the Gem Diva
This is not a blog post about how to wire wrap or a tutorial. It's actually advice on the energetic aspect of wire wrapping. But there is a link at the end of the post to a huge resource for wire artists so keep reading!

I have had someone ask me which metals were the best for a certain stone and does it matter? The answer to that last question is an obvious YES. Why? Because it's all energy. 

Whether or not you are a beginner wire wrapper or a pro, I am going to shed a little advice here. If you are a pro, then I am probably preaching to the choir.

Gemstones and Minerals are all elements of energy. So is the metal you choose to wrap them in.  Some gems may not vibe well with certain types of metal. You, as the artist, know the color and design you want, but as the energy healer, need to know that certain things don't go together. Not all wire artists are energy healers. When I first started out, I had no idea that I would be able to feel energy--until one day I ran a 107 degree fever while working with 14K Gold.

Raw Gold, image pulled from a Google search

I was in a nursing home visiting my mother when the nurse was really looking at me funny.

"You don't look so good," she told me and asked if she could check my temp. It was 107. She checked it again to be sure. After the second time, she started to call 911 and I stopped her. I asked her to give me 10 minutes and check again. I didn't realize then that it was the energy of the gold heating me up until after she took the third temp which read 95 degrees--my normal is 94-96. I picked up the gold again, my temp went up again.

I used to second guess myself and be like, "No it isn't possible," but now I know. Different metals have different energies and react differently with gems.

First, you need to know there are two types of energy. Receptive and Projective.

Receptive energy is magnetic. It draws energy away from an object or individual. It drives energy toward itself. It's also known as feminine energy and Yin.

Projective energy is active and forward moving energy that adds to an object or individual. It sends out energy and is the opposite of Receptive energy.

Next you need to know that each metal and gem and mineral are associated with at least one of the Five Elements. Some gems have more than one element. The elements are:

Earth
Water
Fire
Air/Wind
Storm/Spirit

Metals

Metals have their own energy, too!

What I have found out is that copper goes with almost every gemstone. Copper and Silver as a two-metal wrap seem to have a fresh and flowing sort of energy and enhance the stones wrapped in them. They both amplify the gem. Bloodstone works better with Silver than Gold, Bronze or Brass--unless you have some kind of Silver wire in the wrap, the energy will feel kind of off or trapped. That is because Bloodstone, though green in color, has the Element of Fire. So does Gold and Brass. Silver cools that fire down just a bit and balances it out.



Here is a list of the metals I work with and their energy.

Another thing you need to know is that you, my dear, also have energy and power. Your thoughts are powerful and you need to realize that whatever gem you are working with will absorb some of your energy. So will the metal. 

With that being said, you need to make sure your finished design is cleansed before you sell it. I don't mean soap and water--though that would work with some gems, some, like Selenite, will melt in water. The best way, (in my humble opinion) is smudging with white sage. You can also pray over it--something like, "Dear God, please make this stone helpful to the person it is meant for."

Now, I am going to share with you a wonderful website that has been a great resource for me as a wire artist. I've gotten free wire wrapping patterns, and even free gems from them. Wire-Sculpture.com, if you don't already know it, has been my go to for all of my wire wrapping needs since I moved from Atlanta. Click here to check out their website and be sure to sign up to receive their free tutorials.


Share on Google Plus

About Johnna Crider

The Gems and Mineral Diva is also known as Johnna Sabri. Johnna learned how to wire wrap gemstones into fashionable jewelry by Grammy Award winning guitarist, Daryl Thompson, son of Eli Lucky Thompson. This site is dedicated to Daryl as he did more than teach Johnna his gift of jewelry design, he became a father to her.